When you purchase an animal at the Livestock Auction, you are buying prize winning livestock raised by 4H members. Your purchase helps youth and their agriculture projects. It also brings you the best quality beef, pork, lamb, goat, rabbit and poultry for your dining pleasure.
These young people are learning to produce the highest quality meats for your table. Being responsible, engaging in financial obligations and learning how to manage their own business operations only scratches the surface of the educational benefits. On a small scale, however, their costs are higher than conventional producers so your support is needed and appreciated!
HOW THE AUCTION WORKS:
You will be provided a sales catalog that lists all of the animals, along with their weights and owner names. As each animal is led into the ring, the auctioneer asks for bids in US dollars and cents per pound. When you wish to bid on an animal, just raise your hand. The bidding committee continues until the highest bid is reached, with the animal going to the highest bidder.
If you or your organization wants to buy, yet have no use for an animal, buy one at the auction, then resell it at market price to a commercial packer. Your actual cost will be the difference between the bid price and the market price. This can be done at the clerk's table when you are ready to check out.
HOW YOU CAN USE THE ANIMAL
SERVICE CLUBS, LODGES and UNIONS:
- Store in your freezer for a supply of quality meats
- Donate the animal to a favorite charity
- Split your purchase with a friend.
- Put on a club BBQ for social or fundraising purposes.
- Hold a club "Meat Auction" to build the treasury.
RESTAURANT and MARKETS:
- Give packaged meats to your valued customers.
- Hold a Company BBQ for employees.
- Resell the animal. Any amount over the market value may be an IRS deduction.
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOU BUY
- Advertise that you serve Blue Ribbon meats.
Fill out information on the Buyer's slip. Be sure to select from one of the three alternatives.
- You may consign for processing to custom meat cutting company for cutting, wrapping and freezing.
- You may consign it as a resale directly to a commercial packer at market prices if you do not wish to keep the animal for personal use. Your cost is the difference of the market price and actual purchase price.
- You may pick your animal up alive.
ADD-ON CONTRIBUTIONS are another type of opportunity for supporting the exhibitors. This type of donation can be made to an individual, a club or given by project type. The contribution is added on to the sell price of the animal. For example: $20 can be designated to an individual exhibitor, to each member of a club or to all exhibitors selling an animal in that project area. 100% of the ADD-ON goes directly to the exhibitor. ADD-ON cards are available on request or the day of the auction.
Purchase of an animal or donation may be tax deductible as business advertising expense. Please contact your tax accountant professional for verification.
For more information about the Youth Livestock Auction, purchasing options and/or how to participate if unable to attend, please contact: Danniel Hannah, 503-679-9879 or email email@example.com